Rotary tattoo guns are a staple of the parlor. They’re inexpensive, easy to use, and give you a ton of different options. If you’re getting your first tattoo machine, you may be nervous about what to expect. You don’t have to be! We’ll walk you through the basics of using a rotary tattoo machine, and then go into more detail about how to get the most out of yours.
What Is A Rotary Tattoo Gun?
A rotary tattoo machine uses a single hand-held drum to roll ink onto your skin. Although it may look like a machine that would only be used in a studio, it’s very easy to move around and get set up in your home.
You’ll find a variety of different models of rotary tattoo machines, with prices ranging from under $50 to well over $500.
Settings And Techniques
There are numerous different settings and techniques to use when you’re using a rotary tattoo gun. Let’s go over the basics of how each one works.
- Painting – This is the starting point for all your tattoo designs. The painting setting on your machine is what you want to use to draw your design.
- Spooling – This is the process of loading multiple colors of ink into your machine at one time. You can have your machine spool up to five colors of ink at a time, which means you can do rich, detailed tattooing without having to worry about running out.
- Pushing – This is what it sounds like, and it’s when you tattoo your client. You can adjust the intensity of the tattoo using this setting.
Getting Started On The Tattoo
The first thing you’ll want to do is decide where you’re going to place the tattoo. You can either have your friend help you mark it on their body, or have them lie down on a table as you normally would.
When you’re ready to start, you’ll want to make sure your machine is set up and ready to go. You’ll want to make sure the dial on top is at the painting or push-setting you want.
Wrapping The Tattoo Machine
Once you’ve got your machine all set up and ready to go, you’ll want to make sure to cover all your bases. Make sure you have all your protective gear ready to put your machine in when you’re not using it.
You also want to make sure to take care of your machine between clients, or during breaks in between sessions. This will help to keep it in top working order and keep any potential diseases from spreading.
Final Tips On How To Get The Most Out Of Your Rotary Tattoo Machine
There are a few final things you should keep in mind when you’re getting ready to use your rotary machine.
- Check your machine frequently – You don’t want to leave your machine out in the open, where anyone can use it or sit next to it while it’s running.
- Keep it clean – Make sure to keep your machine clean at all times, especially when it comes to cleaning the interior parts.
- Be careful around the machine – Just like with any other tool, be careful not to bang it against metal objects when it’s running.
Rotary machines are some of the easiest tattoo machines to use, and they give you a ton of different options. You can find one that’s perfect for you, and gives your clients the tattoo they’re hoping for.